Strategies for Reducing Stress,

Stress is a fact of life, it is something that will always be present and man has no choice but to deal with stress. Stress in itself is not entirely bad since it can propel man to take action in order to relieve the stress and anxiety. On the other hand, stress that persists and affects the normal functioning of the individual becomes chronic stress and is psychologically unhealthy. Chronic stress can lead to physiological and psychological manifestations such as stomach ulcers, migraines, asthma and hypertension, insomnia, appetite change, depression and disorientation. Managing stress is a skill it can be learned and applied to ones daily activities. There are a number of ways for reducing stress, such as meditation, relaxation, avoiding stressors, changing ones attitude and behavior towards the stressors, and seeking support (Duffy  Atwater, 2001).
    Stress is basically psychological in nature it is something that we think about, something we feel strongly about and something that arouses anxiety. Coping with stress can also be psychologically motivated, when were upset, we tend to eat more in the effort to feel satiated and feel good about ourselves, reducing the anxiety that the stress have caused. However, unhealthy coping always backfires since it does not effectively deal with the stress. I am more inclined to change my attitude and behavior towards the stressors in my life as a means of reducing stress. I have control over my thoughts, emotions and actions, while I do not have control over other people or events that may cause me stress, thus, it would be a better idea if I change what I have control over. For example, a certain teacher is a stressor for me because I have difficulty in her subject, but since I have control over my thoughts and behavior, I can change my opinion about the subject so I would not be stressed whenever I have a class with that teacher and subject. Also I could change how I associate the teacher with the difficult subject, therefore eliminating the teacher as a stressor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment