Capstone Project Week 3 Application

Topic 
The main topic that I intend to focus on during my Capstone Project is the Prevention of Juvenile Gang Violence. Gang Violence is one of the more serious issues that are plaguing our society. In areas where gangs hold sway, children and adolescents are not safe from being forced into the gang life, and citizens are not safe from the crimes that gang members commit. The only effective method to deal with juvenile gang violence is to prevent them from joining the gangs to begin with. This involves several different aspects of Counseling, Social Work, and Criminal Justice. Children need to have the situations that encourage them to join gangs such as poverty, single parent homes, and abuse and neglect alleviated. They also need to be educated, and made aware of the realities of gang life including the consequences of committing gang related crimes.

Main Issues
There are several key issues related to preventing Juvenile Gang Violence. First, how do you reach children and adolescents before they join the gangs Second, is there any means of preventing them from further gang involvement if they have already joined the gang Finally, how do we alleviate the problems that make juveniles join gangs to begin with

Justification
Growing up low income in an urban area, I was very lucky to avoid becoming involved in the gang life me as an adolescent. I was lucky because, I had loving parents, and support system. I had people encouraging me to strive to achieve academically and to leap the boundaries that had been set upon me by my own socioeconomic status, and family situation. The fact that I was one of the lucky ones that avoided the gang life, has encouraged me to pursue my education in order to learn how best to help juveniles living in circumstances that encourage gang violence, to avoid the same pitfalls that I avoided myself as a teen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment