Be Your Own Case Study

A. Disorder Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder
As described in Axis II Cluster C of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 4th edition   text revision (DSM IV-TR), Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD) is a  pervasive pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and mental and interpersonal control, at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following criteria preoccupied with details, rules, lists, order, organization, or schedules to the extent that the major point of the activity is lost excessively devoted to work and productivity to the exclusion of leisure activities and friendships shows perfectionism that interferes with task completion reluctant to delegate tasks or to work with others unless they submit to exactly his or her way of doing thingsoverconscientious, scrupulous, and inflexible about matters of morality, ethics, or values unable to discard worn-out or worthless objects even when they have no sentimental value shows rigidity and stubbornness and  adopts a miserly spending style toward both self and others and views money as something to be hoarded for future catastrophes  (2000). People experiencing OCPD believe that their need for strict order and rules is perfectly normal.Usually, they have difficulties with social relationships but tend to perform well in work environments. If they find troubles at work, the reasons are either their being overly perfectionist or their tendency to micromanage tasks to ensure that such are accomplished according to the set deadlines (Moore, 2004). OCPD is believed to have been caused by a deficiency in serotonin, a chemical responsible for maintaining a  happy feeling. Thus to help control obsessions and compulsions, levels of the neurotransmitters known to influence behavioral patterns in the brain (eg, serotonin) are being increased (Moore, 2004).

Research on OCPD suggests a possible genetic cause as it often runs in families. Two studies suggest that people with a particular form of the DRD3 gene are susceptible to developing OCPD and depression particularly among males. The role of genes may however lie dormant until triggered by the environment. For example, children genetically predisposed to  OCPD may never develop the full traits if raised in an environment where influences of OCPD are absent (Moore, 2004).

B. Sample Diary Events
Before leaving the house for school this morning, I opened my bag to check if all the important things I need to bring are all in (e.g. mobile phone, wallet, pen, books, paper, notebooks and assignments due for submission today). After checking and seeing to it that nothing was missed, I headed for school.
I visited the library during my morning break period to do one unfinished assignment due for my Math subject. The professor is particular with the accuracy and details of the solutions written so I focused on what I did.  After answering, though certain that I did the right thing, I still reviewed my answers and double-checked my solutions to ensure that no errors were committed in the process. After all, Math is one of my favorite course.

We did an oral recitation in one of my major classes today. One of my classmates, who was called by my professor, failed to give the correct answer. I wanted my professor to call me since I knew the answer to that question, but I was too shy then to raise my hand knowing that I dont usually participate in class discussions. During that moment, something inside old me to volunteer and answer the question but I was overpowered by my fear so I kept silent instead until somebody else from the class responded to the question.

After my Math course, I met with my groupmates to do a project. Our group leader almost got into my nerve. She is known to be pushy when it comes to projects. We are all aware of the deadline so she doesnt have to keep on reminding us as if we are all idiots and not mindful of our grades. She had assigned us with specific assignments but she kept on insisting to let her see the details of the work we did even if we already made a commitment to submit our output two days prior to the deadline so she can still have time to review.

Before I slept tonight, I volunteered to Mom that I will be the one to check on the gate and see if it was properly locked. I also included the main doors of the house. I dont usually do this everynight. It just happened that I was outside the house to tend to my dog  so I volunteered anyway

C. Be your own case study Reflect on how your daily life might be affected
In the first event, presence of OCPD might lead me to prepare a list of the things that I need and see to it that all are present before I can leave the house. I probably would have  refered to this list from time to time to avoid missing a single detail. If suffering from OCPD, ill probably get to school late almost everyday because ill be overly conscious in ensuring that all things are set before I can proceed to another activity.

In the second event, presence of OCPD might compel me to check my work detail by detail and consume more time than what I actually spent. People experiencing OCPD are very particular with details and are very perfectionist so there is a possibility as well that ill not be able to finish my assignment because I will be spending more time reviewing each item every time I finish one.

In the third item, I dont think having an OCPD will have a greater effect in the said activity since such has no requirement for details. It was an impromtu question. Perhaps, if I have OCPD and I am a very perfectionist person, I would opt not to volunteer as well for fear of ridicule in case I am not sure of the answer.

For the fourth item, I think my groupleader will not have any problem with me because we would share a common attitude towards the project. Both of us will have the same sentiments towards our groupmates who are not overly concern with deadlines. Surely, the two of us will practice micromanagement towards our other groupmates and similar to what I felt, they will also get mad at me.

In the last item, if I have OCPD, I think I will not be able to sleep immediately and it will take me really long to finish checking the gate and the door locks. Surely, ill be checking  them from time to time and repeatedly to ensure that all details have been noted and no lock is missed. Also, ill probably volunteer to do the checking everynight instead of letting my other family members handle the job. At least if its me whos doing the task, I could assure myself that its properly done. I could have slept late as well.

D. Consider how you might adapt to andor remedy your difficulties
If I am suffering from OCPD, I think I will get better grades in class because people with OCPD are very organized and perfectionist. They want every detail to be done correctly so my grades would probably be high. I will have problems though in my relationship with my peers because they would regard me as someone who is overly pushy.

Based on the readings that I did, individuals with OCPD can be considered as more well-adjusted compared to other disorders because people having this are very rule bound so the likelihood of indulging in alcohol or drugs as a means of escapism and coping mechanism is a very rare possibility. What I need to work on though is on how to improve my interpersonal relationships. Behavioral Therapy perhaps would be a very good form of intervention.

0 comments:

Post a Comment