Overcoming Public Speaking Fear

Have you ever felt like not waking up in the morning just to avoid a public speaking event Or have you felt trembling in front of the audience like I feel now I am not afraid, but I am definitely scared for todays speaking engagement. However, I managed to stand here in front of you without having to encounter accidents along the way. Right at this moment, I am going to discuss three secrets to overcoming your fear of public speaking being prepared, practicing and relaxing.

Public speaking, I believe is one of the sources of our anxiety and fear. By merely imagining the eyes that will be scrutinizing us, and the ears that will criticize us, we usually end up experiencing digestion troubles or some weird feelings we usually dont feel. Im pretty sure you can relate with what I am saying. I consulted medical practitioners to help me figure out why public speaking makes me feel anxious. Dr. Morton C. Orman (2002) explained that public speaking does not need to be stressful It is in fact a very satisfying and invigorating experience for us. Well, that was a statement that made my hairs stood on ends.

I met Dr. Orman in the internet, and honestly he does not know me. I came across with his article about overcoming fear in public speaking. He said that keeping a few important principles would help us overcome our nightmares about public speaking. Among the principles that struck me the most states that for me to successfully finish my speech or any presentation, I should not consider myself as a public speaker In other words, I should not try to be someone I am not. It seems paradoxical but the best speakers are the ones who allow themselves to be fully natural in front of others. Audience do not demand perfection, so be yourself.

Alongside some principles that we should bear in mind when speaking in public are behind-the-scenes preparations. One of the best ways to make public speaking a great success is to take serious preparations for it. Any successful individuals will leave nothing to chance. Every detail should be laid out and taken cared of. Careful preparation for a public speaking means getting your materials ready, knowing your audience and checking the conditions under which you will speak so that you can visualize how you can exit when nothings going right. Kidding aside, it is vital that a speaker do careful preparations to ensure success.

Practice is also crucial before going into public speaking. Mr. Ron Kurtus (2001) of the School for Champions emphasized that practice is extremely important. This will give you more confidence and mastery. You can practice alone by speaking your piece out loud or you can practice in front of the mirror to make sure your mouth is still on the right position, or even conduct a dry-run in front of your friends. Just make sure they are friendly and supportive.

Finally, you have to relax before your speaking engagement. Allow enough air to enter your lungs so that you will not faint after a minute. When your name is introduced to speak, be sure to take time to breathe, otherwise, you will not reach the stage. Relax and get settled before you start your presentation. Remember to count up to 10 to give your audience time to settle down and be prepared to listen to you. Being relaxed means that you are in control of the situation. Dont let panic ruin your day.

An effective public speaker is someone who can stay natural in front of many people. Dr. Daisaku Ikeda (2000) in his book The Way of Youth wrote that we cannot really avoid public speaking as this is a vital part of our lives. For us to overcome fear in public speaking, we should believe that it is not scary in the first place. Your audience will not eat you. Just think of them as lizards watching you. It is crucial that you make ample preparations and practice before the event and make sure to keep yourself relax in front of the audience. In this way, you will surely enjoy public speaking as I do now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment