RUNNING HEADER GOALS, MOTIVATION, STRESS, DISTRACTERS AND REACTION


1.Identify your overall goal (athletic or otherwise) and write it outusing valid goal setting principles  write out your outcome goal(largeroverall objective), at least two intermediate goals that wouldbe very specific steps to getting there, and at least three task goals(specific activities) for each of your intermediate goals. Be veryorganized so that this is easy to read  use bullets or outlineformat. You must use valid goal setting principles regardingspecificity, timelines, etc. we discuss this in class.    My goal is to lose 10pounds in one year. One of my intermediate goals is to lose all the fat around my waist line within for months. I intend to achieve this by

Swimming for 30minutes daily
Doing 50press ups in the morning and another 50 before I sleep
Increase my water consumption from 6 to 8 glasses a day.
Another intermediate goal will be to reduce my calories consumption by 400-600 by
Replacing soda with a glass of water
Replacing morning egg with an apple
Replacing red meat with white meat

2. In class, we discussed motivation styles and how these styles affectour ability to achieve our goals. Please write a paragraph thatdescribes your primary motivation style and list, in bullet format,at least three specific, valid ways that you can use to motivateyourself to achieve the above goals (from step 1) again, be specificand use valid principles.

One of my motivational styles is to maximize on enjoyment. I do this by taking part in activities that are challenging. Being able to tackle activities with optimal challenges successfully gives me the will to continue and work harder. Challenging tasks create an adrenaline rush that makes me want to continue undertaking such an activity for example setting a time frame within which to swim across a swimming pool will make me go for more laps in an attempt to beat the set record time. It also boosts my self esteem.

I can motivate myself to lose 10pounds by
Buying myself something I love like a new pair of shoes for every one pound lost. Celebrating my victory would help me a lot in working even harder.

Having a list of all the benefits associated with being slender and going through it every morning.
Having an instructor to guide me on the most suitable forms of exercise and who will occasionally rate my progress.

3. Write a paragraph that discusses your primary stress copingstylearousal levels and list (in bullet format) at least three newthings you intend to do to manage your arousal  either during yourathletic pursuits, or just in life in general. Be specific anddetailed.As too much arousal is dangerous, it is important to set up methods of regulating stress, I manage my stress levels by listening to music. This method always leaves me feeling refreshed and ready take on any task.

Other new ways I intend to use to manage my arousal are
Maintaining a positive attitude about life in general regulates arousal.
Try and establish mental skills and practice such skills in order to manage arousal.
Having good sleeping habits and avoids overworking the body.

4. List at least five distracters that you face in your athleticpursuits, or in other areas of your life, and list at least five waysthat you could combat those distracters. Use a bullet format oroutline format for this. Be specific and detailed.In my effort to accomplish my goals, I tend to be distracted by the following

Talking to someone as I work out. This tends to make me drift attention from the task I am doing.
Listening to music as I try to concentrate in another activity.

Having internet as I try to work makes me spend more time on it and chatting than on performing the task at hand.

Television is another major distracter in my life.     
When I am practicing for a game and the coach keeps on shouting.   
 
Some distracters are external and sometimes harder to control, however, use the following methods to cope with both internal and external distracters
Thinking positively helps me to ignore petty irritations and refocus.
Being psychologically prepared to expect distractions especially during big events.

Before a big event, I ensure I have enough rest so that I have enough energy to control the distraction.
At times the only option is to ignore the distraction and try to work as if it were not there.
I have developed a refocusing plan by deep breathing. Having practiced the art of taking a heavy breath helps me regain focus instantly.   
       
5. Write a reaction paragraph where you discuss how the abovestrategies could have helped you in the past, or will be able to helpyou in the future with this goal and others.

The above strategies have come in very handy in achieving my previous goals for example when we had a basketball match in an away ground without supporters, I was prepared to deal with the distraction of not having a cheering group while our opponents were being cheered for. This mental readiness helped us win the match.

Having enough sleep before going swimming will give me enough energy to deal with distraction and therefore work harder at losing weight.

Being able to ignore distracters will help me in ignoring music being played in the gym or a friend trying to talk to me as I work out to lose weight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment