Ego Buster vs. Ego Booster

The past year can be characterized as a period of ups and downs on my part. My experiences have not only helped capitalize on my strengths but also help recognize new facets that have served as an ego booster and buster.

One instance that a person served as an ego booster on my part was when I participated in an orientation. The speaker here was good offering insights, allowed reflection of my capacities on my part and influenced my leadership and interpersonal skills. Another event that served this purpose revolves around reading a book from Nicholas Sparks. His novel captured my view concerning life and became an essential component that provided a new outlook on how to view things accordingly. This then provided a new direction and view towards my chosen specialization and career.

I also became an essential ego booster for others when I provided a good advice to my friend who was having difficulty in his class. Here, I became patient for his part and showed him how relatively easy the task would be if enough effort and time were given. The end result provided good and made him realize that the endeavor can be made accordingly. At the same time, I became an instrument for an ego boost when I provided a good critique to one of my classmates papers. Though I provided some changes in her work, the comments I made were constructive and did not seek to create negativity on her work or capability. Rather, I focused on what she can explore further and dwell into so as to gain better analysis and insights on the matter.

On the other hand, there were also instances that people became an ego buster on my part. Receiving a negative feedback on one of my papers is a good example for this. Though I did try my best to produce a good one, it did not meet the standards of the professor. Not to mention receiving comments that further degraded my personal capacities. At the same time, there was the challenge of a group mate who questioned my leadership in a group activity. I do believe that this question in my ability to function effectively temporarily slowed down my motivation to work and interact with other people.

There were also instances where I became an ego buster for other people as well. One situation involves providing a sudden spur of negative feedback towards another for a mistake that can be considered elementary. The manner on how I said these were somewhat negative which contributed to my opinion an ego buster. Another scenario that contributed to such involves blaming other people for my responsibility despite the fact that they know these aspects as well. These then became an essential aspect that hindered my capacity to boost their motivation to work with me further. The end result was that we gained a measly grade out of the process.

0 comments:

Post a Comment