Public Self vs. Private Self Which Is Real

Consciousness is often divided into two types public self and private self. Public self is a perception of oneself based on who or what others perceive one to be (Self-Consciousness). Private self is a perception of oneself purely based on ones own feelings and perception (Self-Consciousness). In the exercise for this course, I created a list of self characteristics for both public and private self. The ten characteristics that I believe to be true of my presented or public self include organized, creative, patient, problem solver, loyal, understanding, determined, professional, polite, and confident. The ten characteristics that I believe to be true of my perceived or private self include easy going, creative, organized, intelligent, fun loving, caring, athletic, decisive, patient, and a hard worker. My colleagues list of characteristics include creative, problem solver, patient, smart, organized, professional, humorous, quiet, loyal, and a team player.

My public self list and my colleagues list include many of the same characteristics such as organized, patient, problem solver, and professional. This was not a surprise to me as my public self awareness is a perception of myself based on what I believe others to see. These characteristics are not only necessary, but are also required in my particular line of work as a Senior CSR at a local bank. If I didnt present these qualities to the public, I wouldnt be accomplishing my job in a manner that pleases both the customer as well as the bank that I work for.

Our lists also differ in the ways I see myself and the ways my colleague views me. This was not a surprise either. When Im not at work, I have the opportunity to be more laid back and easy going. Things dont have to be as structured as in the workplace. I perceive the fun loving characteristics to be more obvious when I am at home with family and not co-workers, employers, or customers. The question then becomes, which characteristics represent the real me Which characteristics are deliberate and which are unconscious traits

First, I believe the deliberate characteristics to be the traits that I have learned to apply in my work as well in situations at home. Traits such as being patient, a team player, professional, and polite are all learned. These traits are deliberately carried out in the workplace in order to effectively communicate, assist, and provide for all needs brought to me by the customer, co-workers, and employers. Just the same, these traits are deliberately carried out in the non-working environment to help me communicate with those around me and to work as a team or family unit.

I believe the unconscious traits include traits such as being a problem solver, humorous, quiet, and even loyal. In my work and outside of work I unconsciously process circumstances that come my way and look for a solution that benefits me. Being quiet at times and humorous at other times are also unconscious traits. I tend to be humorous or somewhat funny when I am nervous. This is an unconscious reaction as well as a solution to dealing with new or uncomfortable situations. Being quiet tends to take place in the middle of a task or assignment. I dont intentionally tune everyone out, yet I close down in a way to think specifically on the task at hand. Completing the work is the top responsibility.

Looking at the unconscious and deliberate characteristics, I come to the conclusion that the true me actually comes from both sides. The unconscious acts arent intentional, yet they make up who I am. The deliberate traits are intentional and after learning to put those into motion, they have become part of me. I am devoted to my job and am definitely organized, smart, a problem solver, and patient with customers. Im also a laid back, fun loving individual that enjoys different activities. These characteristics all describe the real me, who I am and who Ive shaped myself to be both privately (as perceived by myself) and publically (they way I want to be perceived by others).

1 comments:

Unknown said...

nice

Post a Comment