Behaviour and Society

There exists no absolute way or measure of telling between normal and abnormal behaviour (Lain, 2007). What may be perceived as normal behaviour by one person may count as outright abnormal another person. For instance, although homelessness is regarded as abnormal in most civilized cultures in both the north and the south, it is totally normal and acceptable among the pastoralist communities in Asia and Africa. While abnormality suggests a deviation from what is normal, there is no clear-cut standard for distinguishing between who is normal and who is abnormal.

There are however criteria which are commonly used to distinguish between which behaviour is normal and which is not. An important and widely-used criterion for distinguishing between normal and abnormal behaviour is distress. An individual who appears anxious, depressed and unhappy is considered to be exhibiting abnorm and is oftentimes advised to seek psychological help. Statistical infrequency is also used as a criterion to draw the line between normal and abnormal behaviour. Behaviour or phenomena which are rare or infrequent are regarded as abnormal. For instance, individuals weighing above or below the average weight are ddemed to have an abnormality. The same applies for individuals or groups who engage in such unusual behaviour as ritual killings, polyandry, and living in caves.

Every society or community has its own unwritten rules which all members are expected to observe always. Any behaviour which deviates from those norms is considered abnormal. If a naked man is seen walking or running on the streets, his behaviour would qualify as abnormal. The influence of society on human behaviour is not restricted to unwritten rules. Organized societies build institutions and develop laws and rules which the members must observe. Failure to observe these rules leads to punishment. In this way too, the society forces its members to behave in a way which is considered normal by virtue of being within the law. Religion is also an important component of most peoples lives. Religion encourages followers to behave in a certain manner. Behaviour which is contrary to what is deemed right by the religion is referred to as sin and sinners are expected to feel guilty and confess their wrong-doing. Another important tool which has been used to change peoples view of what is normal behaviour and what is not is the media. By portraying behaviour as normal and acceptable, the media challenges, changes and enforces peoples views on behaviour. For instance, watching too much television can make one believe that such behaviour as kissing in public is normal, while most of the rest consider sich behaviour abnormal.

Owing to the fact that every individual is a member of a community, whether formal or informal, large or small, it follows that each members view of what is normal or abnormal is largely shared by the community, or by the majority of people in the community. It would be difficult, if not impossible, for any individual to determine what is normal or abnormal, independent of the rest of the community of which he is a member. Right from birth, individuals start learning from the community and although they may join and rejoin many communities in the course of their lifetimes, they are members of at least one community at any given instance. Part of what gives individuals acceptance and identity in their respective communities is their behaviour. Individuals who are considered to exhibit abnormal behaviour land in trouble with the law, or are shunned by their communities. For instance, drug addicts and criminals often have not only problems with the law but also find themselves alienated by their families and communities. Their hope of creating an identity lies in coming together to form gangs whose members share views of normal and abnormal behaviour. On the other hand, those deemed to exhibit normal behaviour earn good reputations, and find it easier to climb up the social ladder. Most individuals therefore make deliberate efforts, sometimes at a cost, to align their views of what is normal and what is abnormal with those of their society.

As an individual, my social behaviour and views of normal behaviour vis--vis abnormal behaviour are largely shaped by the society of which Im a member. Im concsious of to what extent my behaviour conforms to the social norms. I have grown up in a society which emphasizes on respect for ones parents and seniors. Parents and older siblings was not much of a problem as I grew up as I was cultured to believe that obedience was my duty and could not be challenged. As a grown-up however, I have on a number of occasions challengedthe status quo, not necessarily openly but, by pretending to be busy when my parents want to send me on an errand which I consider unnecessary or tiring. Although my parents believe it when I tell them Im busy, I develop a feeling of guilt afterwards. That this feeling of guilt comes despite the fact that my parents do not see through my falsehood confirms that my view of what is abnormal behaviour is still shaped by what I learnt from my community since my childhood. My father once served in the armed forces and has always insisted emphasized on the value of good diet and physical fitness. So much so that I believe that it is abnormal for an individual to be obese. My father taught us good dietary habits which have shaped my dietary behavioir since then. I still avoid sugary and fatty foods as I associate them with obesity.

I have an internal locus of control and attribute my successes, and failures, to my own efforts or mistakes. Although I sometimes have a feeling of helplessness in the face of some challenges, I believe that not even fate has full control over the outcome and I must therefore confront the challenge with all the strength and courage that I can master. Faced with many and difficult challenges, I convince myself that my failure or triumph over those challenges has nothing much to do with fate or luck.  I have the responsibility of chossing to either fail or succeed. I then adjust my behaviour and actions so that they are in line with my choice.

Ones personality has an important role in shaping ones social behaviour. Individuals who believe that their destiny lies in the hands of others are oftentimes not motivated to succeed and are quick to blame others following a failure. Such people may be said to have an external locus of control and will often blame their failures on fate, other people or bad luck. For instance, rather than change their dietary habits or engage in physical activity to ward off obesity, individuals woth an external locus of control are more likely to blame their weight problems on fate. At school, such individuals remain mostly unmotivated and invest little in learning. Failure in examinations is then blamed on the teachers, parents, and classmates. On the other hand, individuals with an internal locus of control take charge of their lives and their relationships with others and do not blame others for their mistakes or failures.

0 comments:

Post a Comment