Abnormal Psychology Performing Madness

The very thought of being the center of public attention is frightening to some people.  Nonetheless, for the purpose of proving a point, I engaged in a behavior in three public places in order to show that society is cruel and unaccepting of those who are indifferent whether it be from a mental or a genetic disorder from birth.  The behavior that I chose was to deliberately jerk my right arm and twitch my neck to the right in a rather rough fashion.  The jerking was performed approximately every thirty seconds for duration of ten minutes per public location.  These actions were performed at the local mall, at the Pizza Hut, and in the doctors office.  I did inform the receptionist and the nurse there of what I was doing for one of my college courses so that they would not be of the disbelief that I had some new symptoms.  Again, I must reiterate the fact that society is unfeeling and not empathetic towards those individuals who do not fit the norm.
   
When I performed this behavior at the local mall, I received the reaction that I had predicted. I sat on a bench within the mall and talked casually with my friend.  She was willing to go with me to give the appearance that I was just carrying on about my normal business.  Teenagers laughed and pointed while older adults pulled their children closer as if I had a contagious disease (Barlow  Durand, 2009).  When I performed the behavior at the Pizza Hut, the waitress insultingly asked my friend if we wanted the order to go.  Apparently the waitress thought that I was no longer able to speak, although I was able to place my order without a problem. Patrons of the restaurant stopped speaking aloud and their conversations were deduced to low whispers and strange glares.  In performing at the final location, the doctors office, I went alone.  Other patients in the waiting room got up and moved away from me.  No one spoke to me other than the receptionist at the window.  A little child was there with his mother and she got up and made him sit by her because he was playing with a truck less than ten feet from me.  The reactions of the general public were less than understanding.  It would seem that in this day and time, there would be more consideration given the fact that we know more now about birth defects and psychiatric disorders (Barlow  Durand, 2009).
   
Psychologists may feel that this behavior that was performed could be co-morbid to a physical condition.  Specifically, the performed behavior was of a physical nature, but psychological components could increase the activity of the jerking motions.  In other words, if I were to become upset or overly excited, then the jerking could become more prominent and frequent.  Psychologists would most likely view this behavior as a disability that interferes with specific functioning (Orto  Power, 2007).  This functioning could be as simple as writing or using the restroom.  The treating psychologist would be wise to obtain any and all medical records from prior or present treating medical conditions in order to make a more informed and biopsychosocial diagnosis.
   
I have always taken into consideration the probability of the bigger picture when I see someone walking with an awkward gait or with a limp.  In the same respect, I do not find any humor in watching someone struggle to do the simplest of things like open a door or lift a bag into their car.  This experiment hurt me in the respect of knowing that total strangers would not give me the time of day simply because I did not behave in a normal way.  I am a good, friendly, and intelligent person, but society turned a deaf ear to the opportunity to get to know that side of me.  This experience has inspired me to offer more of my personal time and my abilities to helping those who do not have the advantages that I do. It has also inspired me to befriend those with disabilities, whether physical or psychological, because everyone needs a friend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment