Motivational interviewing principles

Human behavior can be quite confusing it can sometimes cause some feelings of conflict within self causing the person to undergo self denial. Sometimes the mixed feelings can leave a person in a constant struggle to overcome the feelings. To worsen the matter, sometimes the behavior that cause such feelings could at the same time offer some satisfaction a confusing the person further.

In my life the issue of smoking has been a thorny one. Despite my full knowledge of the adverse effects of this behavior, I have found myself clinging unto it after several attempts of quitting. I however preparing to quit the vice once and for all, this time hoping I will succeed.

To change my behavior I must embark on a rigorous self convincing process to acquit my subconscious with the negative effects of smoking. Since these negative effects are well known to me, it therefore calls for a thorough acceptance of the reluctance to quit smoking I have experienced the past.

Currently I am struggling at the preparation stage and I am busy trying to overcome my problem. Having tried to quit smoking in the past to no success, I am fully determined to win this time as I have analyzed my problems. I am also determined to go through the action stage and after emerging as a non smoker, go through maintenance stage.

As a therapist at this stage, I would ensure that I remain as open and inviting as possible to allow the patient easy to access me. I can use my probing skills to ensure that the patient feels as free as possible as this would allow for us to strike a date when the patient can walk in. Maintaining a close but professional distance can be of great help to enable our relationship remains subtle.
Using the principle of express empathy, I would make the therapist part of me explain to my self (the patient) the understanding I have gathered concerning the problem suffered. I would carefully examine the advantages of my behavior, contrasting them with the disadvantages to unravel what could cause reluctance to change. By this it would mean I understand my problem from the therapist point of view.

I would ensure that the therapist explains to the patient part of me the positive value that change would have to my life. I will let the conflicting aspects of my life be explored giving a contrasting emphasis on how I want my life to be and my actual behavior. This will allow me to be in a position to appreciate the value of change. These are the attributes of the second principle of motivational interviewing

Develop Discrepancy
If I find some resistance within me as I have felt before, I would let the therapist try to understand this as natural process of resistance to change. Such understanding shall be vital as it shall allow me as the therapist step up the step of developing discrepancy to ensure that I overcome the vice, by overcoming the resistance. This understanding on the part of the therapist that such patients resistance is natural is what Motivational interviewing calls Roll with resistance.

With a well understood self conscious, leaving my smoking habit could lead to a number of effects including losing friends, and also losing a social life. Quitting smoking can be hard. Chances are therefore high that I shall, at final stages resist the change. At this point the principle of self autonomy shall guide me as the therapist to accept my patients decision and shall continue to assist the patient to change. This shall ensure that I approach the desired change with confidence and enjoy the benefits of change.

In the entire counseling process I would ensure that fundamental principles of counseling are adhered to. I would ensure that I maintain confidentiality and client respect at all stages of my counseling process.

0 comments:

Post a Comment