CAREER INVENTORY

A career assessment provides one with a valuable insight into the various options one can choose from when deciding which career to pursue. By evaluating ones abilities, proficiencies and skills, such assessments identify the most appropriate career an individual should embark on (Zunker, 2006). This reduces the incidence of mismatching ones skills with a particular profession and, leads to higher productivity as individuals are proficient in their jobs.  

The assessment revealed that I have hidden talents and inborn qualities that are critical for one to excel in a counseling career. Patience, a love for people, and a caring attitude were qualities the tests revealed I possessed. Most likely I acquired these qualities during my early childhood (Kim et al., 2002). My parents brought us up to be caring individuals with a profound respect for other peoples opinions.

Some individuals have a predisposition to working under close supervision while others prefer to take up leadership positions (Kim et al., 2002).The test suggested that although I can work independently, I perform better under close supervision. This aspect fits in well with my overall goals as I plan to understudy the main counselor at my workplace so I can gain valuable experience. When I am confident enough, I intend to open up my own practice.
 
Despite the test identifying a number of things about me correctly, it was unable to factor in cultural aspects that have an impact on my final career choice (Zunker, 2006). Cultural attitudes in my community towards certain professions discouraged me becoming a chef or a musician despite the natural talent I have for the two careers. In future such tests should be designed in such a way that they can identify the most appropriate career for different ethnic communities, taking in the need for cultural change and modern perceptions concerning employment (Kim et al., 2002).

0 comments:

Post a Comment