Significant Influences in My Cultural Identity Development

Comprehension of cultural identity and its development entails an understanding of the word culture. The term is highly multidimensional and multifaceted in nature. It has been defined and refined in numerous ways from different perspectives. Culture is among the two or three most complex words in English language and has confused people since its inception (Eagleton, 2000, p. 1). Being born and raised in California, I fall into the category of a stereotypical American whose understanding of the term is insufficient, because it appears as if I come from a place that seems to have no culture. To me culture connotes the manner in which one lives encompassing what one eats, the clothes one wears, the languages one speaks, ones ancestral, ethnic and racial background, nationality and financial standing. Culture is the system of building ones identity. This identity is known as cultural identity and is concerned with development of a sense of coherence as a self in relation to others within particular contexts (Port-Davis, 2003, p. 41). It is a distinctive pattern of life and the material and spiritual manifestation of the pattern (Brock,  Tulasiewicz, 1985, p. 3). In my opinion cultural identity envelops racial, ethnic and gender identity and is influenced by multifarious factors.
   
Family values are among the most significant influences on my cultural identity development. Honesty, dedication, ethical conduct, love and caring and giving supreme importance to family are my central family values. I am extremely close to my mother and have imbibed these values from her. The last value of giving your family utmost importance is deeply related to Caucasian families. (HERE FAMILY IS RELATED TO RACE) I am not sure how this fits here, or what it is intended to mean. Additionally, I also have some Indian blood in me and Indian emphasis on family respect and value is well known. Remove (CAN REMOVE BUT IMPORTANCE OF FAMILY IS HIGHLY STRESSED IN INDIAN FAMILIES IS KNOW BY REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE) I seem to identify with people and groups holding similar views, and experience a sense of coherence or belongingness in these groups. Further, I am drawn to people with similar cultural values and enter into relationships with them. I am instinctively disinclined towards (THAT IS WHAT DISINCLINED MEANS) those who hold opposite values and fundamentals, and am unable to sustain relationships with such individuals. I choose not to indulge in behaviors and practices that violate my family values. Close family relations initiated my interest in medicine and psychology my chosen career paths. Loss of my close family members, aunt Cathy and grandpa Micham to medical inefficiencies turned my attention to the field. Another value that I have derived from my family is being the best at whatever you do. This value, however, stems from an inferiority complex and the need to be accepted and appreciated by both my father, and grandfather. Emphasis on being the best in all fields in life ensured a focused, responsible and committed attitude towards my studies and work. Though I was the first to enter the medicine stream in my family, my pursuit of medicine has inspired others in my family to follow my footsteps.
 
Another vital influence on my cultural identity development has been region, or more precisely, transition from one region to another. Being brought up in California, I grew up among people from diverse backgrounds, holding different beliefs and practicing different lifestyles. This facilitated inculcation of a sense of acceptance and tolerance for all, and the belief in equality of mankind. I have always been open-minded and accepting of others. I carried these values and beliefs with me to Missouri, the region to which I shifted in 2006. However, people in that region were not as broad-minded and discriminated against people of color and alternate lifestyles. Despite being American, I was made to feel un-American, an outsider and inferior when compared to them. My experiences are reflective of old stereotypes that some people hold against city folk. Another stereotype because of which I was looked Grammar (100  CORRECT GRAMMAR) down upon was the perceived immorality of homosexuality. Even some members of my family, mainly my father and grandfather, held a similar stereotype which ruined my relationship with them. These experiences, however, only strengthened my resolve not to hate anyone and strengthened my belief in tolerance and acceptance of all. They did, however, result in the development of the stereotype that Missouri people and especially small town people are mostly narrow-minded and ignorant in their beliefs, and given a choice, I would prefer not visiting or living in such places. I moved to Oklahoma recently and am back among tolerant, non-racist individuals. Despite varied experiences pertaining to different areas in United States, I still strongly identify with my birth nation, the U.S. and neither feel different nor inferior to any other American. In other words, I still experience a deep sense of belonging to the nation and to the so-called American culture.
   
Another major influence on my cultural identity development is gender. Its role has transcended beyond the borders of gender identity in my case. I received great understanding and affection from my mother throughout life. Relationships of deep understanding and trust with women continued and till date most of my closest friends are women.  My faith in the opposite sex also stems from a painful incident in my childhood. I was molested in my early childhood years by a male. This incident also seems to be an attributive factor for my homosexuality and my belonging to a minority group of people who are still suffering from old, rotten prejudices in society. Society still treats homosexuals as abnormal, as a result of which many are compelled to oppress their true sexuality. This oppression and unfair treatment has resulted in the development of my fundamental belief in life that everybody should be free to live their life as they please, as long as it does not injure, endanger, or prevent others from doing so. In terms of choice of life experiences, I seldom opt for experiences that involve discussion of my sexuality and feel uncomfortable discussing it. I prefer having relationships with people who accept me for who I am, do not treat me as an outcast and do not blame me for the lifestyle I live.
   
Religion has also influenced my cultural identity development. I am a Christian and celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter. Calling myself Christian invariably makes me coherent with a certain group of people in the world. However, religion has played a somewhat unusual role in my cultural identity development. In the early years of my life, religion implied worshipping Jesus, son of God, going to church on Sundays and the like. I could easily relate to others who were following similar religious routines. But I have always been respectful of other religions and freely associated with people following other religions. However, on opening up about my sexuality to others and myself, I experienced a conflict between self and religion. I considered myself to be one of those Christians who were not able to fulfill all their religious obligations or were different from the rest in their religion. Thus, my sense of belongingness shifted from a wider religious group to a smaller homosexual group experiencing similar dilemmas and conflicts. After this conflict, another arose. With pursuit of medicine and psychology, two scientific fields, the need for empirical evidence superseded blind faith. On questioning old traditional values and not finding justifications for them, my belief began crumbling. Though I have not discarded religious ideals completely, I seek evidence of their true worth before accepting and implementing them in life. In this way, I belong to the culture of those Christian people who are not afraid to question their religion.
   
Economic influences and their impact on cultural identity development cannot be undermined in case of a middle-class child. My parents suffered economic hardships during my early childhood. Even after the situation stabilized, it seemed that my parents were always having a hard time. Value and importance of money were always stressed, which is another reason for my joining medicine. I do not want to face economically turbulent times in my future and am working towards developing a sound financial background. Economic influences make me deeply respect people who exhibit financial wisdom and prudence.
   
Throughout my life a number of diverse influences intertwined to give me a distinctive cultural identity. This identity may not be from a rich culture, laced with ancient traditions but this identity is defiantly not stagnant and keeps growing and developing with every new and unique experience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment