Contribution to positive social change

The unpredictable disaster comes like a thief in the night. One may lived a comfortable life today but may lose everything in a wink of an eye. We are often unprepared to face the wrath of nature. No one can ever challenge the forces that can destruct our properties and change our lives completely. This was the feeling that I had when I saw the sufferings of the people in New Orleans in 2005. While I was not in a position to rebuild the city of New Orleans, I could not turn my back and be complacent. The cries of the people who have suffered cannot be ignored. I felt the immediate compulsion to render my volunteer service to help those who have lost their properties and loved ones after learning about the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina. As a student I may not have much to give in terms of money but without any hesitation, I emptied my wallet and donated all the money that I had in my possession. This was not easy for me as I solely relied on the allowance given by my parents for my daily sustenance. Even if my action led me to have less meals for many days, I felt so happy knowing that my meager monetary contribution would help in providing the victims of the natural disaster a simple meal, a warm blanket and few clothes to wear. My concern for the victims did not begin and end in my humble donation.

Seeing the predicament of these people all over the news prompted me to do whatever I can to alleviate the living conditions of the survivors. At home, I searched for clothes, food, blankets and toys that can be given to the victims. I called up all my friends and picked up all their donations and handed them to our churchs officers since they were actively involved in the drive to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina. After school hours, I devoted my time in one of our church activities that required me to sort and pack relief goods. Although I was completely exhausted after doing all my school and volunteer works, the inner fulfillment was incomparable. At the end of the day, I was able to sleep soundly knowing that the heart and hands that have taken part in the effort to help the victims of the horrible disaster would bring a smile, warmth and comfort to the lives of thousands of people. Indeed, the small act of support that each of us has rendered had a huge impact not only to our church and community but also to the people who were in dire need of our help. This experience has taught me the value of team effort and determination in meeting a common goal. Initially as we were filled with excitement in giving our services and at the same time worrying about plight of the people in New Orleans, there were hodgepodge of ideas and we felt that there was so much work to do with so little financial and human resources. However, this did not discourage us from fulfilling our mission. As we try to reach our goal, we begin to explore what each of us can give in terms of financial, material or other services. Then we seek assistance from our friends, relatives, neighbors and community members. Within a short period of time, we were able to collect more than what we have expected. Donations poured in from people in all walks of life and we saw the huge effect when we put our minds and spirit at work. Indeed, this is one of the most unforgettable moments of my life and I have vowed to render my volunteer services in any place where I can be of help.

B. Current personal, intellectual, professional interests
My never ending quests for answers have triggered my interest in performing research and interviewing authorities. In college, I have done researches on gender bias, color-word studies, classical conditioning, and the effects of classical and rock music on our memory. After working with pupils, toddlers and young children before and after completing my Bachelors degree in Psychology, I became a coordinator for the AG activity services and handled persons with disabilities and those with special needs. Most of these clients belong to the marginalized sector. As a program coordinator, I developed and implemented programs that were geared towards independent living. These programs include teaching life skills that will enable our clients to live independently or with minimum assistance. It was a challenging experience to teach persons with special needs as each have their own unique needs, strengths and weaknesses. Since our clients have various exceptionalities such as autism, intellectual disability and neuromuscular disorders, I have to design programs that will cater to their individual needs and allow them to reach their full potentials. Although the process of teaching required patience and perseverance, I was fulfilled in seeing most of our clients improve. Many were able to acquire skills that enable them to survive without assistance from their families. Some were also referred to the social services for possible employment and housing assistance. In addition to life skill development, I also coordinated with some establishments and amusement parks, movie houses and sports complex for the weekly field trips and recreation as it was also our aim to provide clients with community exposure and relaxation activities.  

With a strong interest in studying childrens behavior, I would like to conduct a research on the emotions of teenage children. I have observed that there are a number of teenagers who could not resist peer pressure that often leads to substance abuse, emotional and behavioral problems, juvenile delinquency, teenage pregnancy and school dropout. In line with my interest, I am currently designing an art program for AG Activity Services to help teenage children enhance their skills in graphic arts designing, painting, sculpturing, and photography. In this program, it is our goal to use arts as a tool to stimulate the minds and to express the inner emotions of the children. It is also a means of therapeutic intervention to keep them away from substance abuse and to develop their inner strength. The program will include an individual lesson so each child will learn at their own pace and will have the opportunity to either develop new skills or enhance their existing skills in the field of arts.

Armed with my experience in handling children and those with special needs, I intend to complete my Masters degree in in Marriage and Family Therapy, be part of the internship program to gain hands-on knowledge and experience, become a marriage and family therapist and establish my own clinic in the future. It is also my goal to design an after-school program for the underprivileged children who are in dire need of assistance in completing their homework. These children may either have parents whose work schedules do not permit them to be with their children after school or those who have parents who are burdened with family and personal problems. As it is my passion to see young children become law-abiding and productive individuals, I would also like to stimulate their minds and keep them focus on their goals and dreams in life. Hence, I would continue to create art and sports programs so children will remain active, fully engaged in their studies and activities, and away from the negative influence of the streets.

The Marriage and Family Therapy Program in Phillips Graduate Institute is not only committed in preparing their graduates to be well prepared for licensure but it also provides collaborative learning and opportunities for academic, clinical and personal transformation. As a Christian, I would not only be interested in an education that will provide me with an edge in employment but I would like to be molded with a Christian mission that will guide me in using my knowledge and experience in making a difference in other peoples life. In addition, it is unique to have an institution that will support students in developing their own professional identity and providing assistance and exposure in education, clinical practice and research. With limited faculty and student ratio, provisions of academic and clinical training, and intense supervision provided to each student, I am highly confident that I will be a certified and become an effective marriage and family therapist who can help clients cope with their relationships, divorce and separation, child rearing, and family related problems. In line with PGIs commitment, I will always be committed in improving the quality of peoples lives, and applying the best approach and method to build stronger family relationships.

0 comments:

Post a Comment