Educational Philosophies

There are various educational philosophies used in modern education and in most of the schools the application of educational philosophy is either combined or circumstantial.

I have studied in a school, which followed the philosophy of Essentialism. My educators seemed to be very rigid and disciplined, and expected the same from the students. We learned the basic subjects like math, science, history and languages. It encouraged academic competitions with regular tests and examinations. I always felt that I was on a memory test all the time during my schooling as we were suppose to present everything we have learned for the academic year into the test paper in a stipulated time. I do agree that this kind of education does give an academic edge to the students, but the creative mind of the students are shut and they are asked to repeat the tested and tried methods of learning.

If given a chance to teach in one of the schools with pure philosophy pattern, I would like to work in a school where philosophy of Perennialism is followed. Though, it is important for the students to have an academic edge, but I do believe that we need to stimulate the thought process of the learner for hisher inputs. The educators need to present the principles and not the facts. I like this pattern of student-teacher interaction wherein the teacher just provides the topic of discussion but the actual discussion happens between the students. This helps to create an opinion about the subject. This kind of education helps the students to learn with scientific reasoning.

One of the major differences between the way I studied and the way I want to teach is student input. I think for better understanding and impact of any form of learning, it is important that the participant is given a chance to think out of the box and prove it with facts. How else will we have inventors in future

0 comments:

Post a Comment